Wednesday, July 13, 2005

July 12

An exhausting, long day. Very nice weather. Again, beautiful scenery. The Cascade Range's crown jewels are truly a sight to behold. But tonight, it's very difficult to appreciate where I am. We ate a lot throughout the day, should have had energy, but did not. I developed a blister on my left pinky toe, which I will pierce and drain shortly.

Oh, boy. On a day like today, you hope that it was just a fluke, that the drive and the strength to move and see and breathe it in and forget about yourself returns tomorrow.

The sun is setting behind a stand of fir trees. Mt. Adams' peak sits heavily over my right shoulder. We are camped on its shoulder at about 6000 ft. The terrain is very familiar and exciting to be in. We crossed the Lewis River's headwaters just a half an hour ago. Last summer I did work on restoring the riparian habitats on the East Fork of the Lewis down in Clark County. Tomorrow morning we cross the White Salmon River -- I can even make out its crashing rumble in the distance as I sit here beside the tent -- which runs south and feeds into the Columbia across from Hood River, OR. Tomorrow, we are sure to get our first glimpse of Mt. Hood.

I hope that we both feel better soon.

No comments: